Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian



National Book Foundation:
"Based on the author’s own experiences, this heartbreaking yet funny story chronicles the adolescence of one contemporary Native American boy as he attempts to break away from the life he seems destined to live."

This is one of the best teen lit books I have ever read. I laughed throughout and nearly went for the tissues a few times. Adults and teens both should read this and learn from Arnold Spirit.

"Excellent in every way, poignant and really funny and heartwarming and honest and wise and smart .... I have no doubt that in a year or so it'll both be winning awards and being banned." - Neil Gaiman, best-selling author

"When my horoscope said I was going to meet someone tall, dark and handsome ... who knew he'd be 14! Thankfully for me Arnold Spirit is one of the funniest, most endearing characters I've met in a very long time. This book is so original, I laughed consistently from beginning to end." - Amy Sedaris, actress, comedian, and author of I LIKE YOU: HOSPITALITY UNDER THE INFLUENCE

"Arnold Spirit's offbeat coming-of-age tale will touch your battle-scarred teenage heart." - Megan Kelso, cartoonist

Sherman wins the 2007 National Book Award for Young People's Literature for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. Watch a clip on the New York Times Web site. Read the stories in The Seattle P-I (11/14/07), The Seattle Times (11/14/07), The New York Times (11/15/07), and Publishers Weekly (11/15/07).

See the True Diary page for reviews and to hear an audio file of Sherman reading from the book.

No comments: